Monday, January 20, 2014

Pics of green and orange

So I got a bunch of groceries and here's what I came up with.

Start with this: Two heads of romaine lettuce, two apples, a lime and a half (I had a leftover), two cucumbers, a big bunch of cilantro, five stalks of celery. There's a bunch of spinach too, but it wouldn't fit in the bowl.


This was an unusually big batch, but that's fine. I usually don't make enough. Anyhow, that pile (without spinach) turned into this. Roughly 8-9 cups.


The problem with my juicer is it tends to shred spinach and spit it out in the pulp hopper instead of really juicing it. So for that I take the juice and mix it up in the blender with the spinach.


And when the spinach was sufficiently shredded, I ended up with this much juice/smoothie/whatever you wanna call it:


Those of you who follow this blog will know how crazy I am for carrot juice, so I couldn't deny myself a batch of that.


Underneath those carrots are two peeled oranges (here they are without the carrot canopy).


And that ended with this much carrot juice (with a tiny bit of ginger added).


On a side note, the green juice was the best I've ever made. I went through 2/3 of it tonight just because I couldn't get enough (the lime and cilantro made it irresistible). I've finally perfected that recipe and I'm going to keep using it, though I may alternate spinach with kale and bok choy. There's actually a danger of something bad happening (I forget what it is) if you just keep drinking the same green leafy stuff over and over and over, so I mix it up a bit. Never the less, I think the green juice is the hardest to get "just so" and now I think I've hit the perfect balance. I'm pleased. And full of juice.

2 comments:

  1. Corey, I'm curious about the spinach issue. Is your juicer a masticating or centrifugal model?

    I like spinach, so I can see using it a fair bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My juicer is centrifugal, which I hear is inferior to the masticating.

      Delete