Saturday, January 4, 2014

The quest for green

Getting the ingredients right for a juice that is both yummy but also delivers all that stuff you need from green leafy vegetables (which are the crown jewels of juicing) took me some time. I think I'm finally hitting a good mix: Four cucumbers, two hears of romaine lettuce, a head of kale, one bunch of broccoli, two pears, and some coriander. Many of my earlier "green" juices were not that appetizing. And that's fine: I can choke back a gallon of something that doesn't taste amazing just go get the health benefits. But to do it every day? That's tough. So I've been tinkering with various combinations, careful not to overwhelm the green with any sweet additives (like apples).  Just for the sake of mentioning it: I did all the ingredients in the juicer except the kale. I can't get the juicer to juice it effectively without putting 90% of the leaf in the pulp collector. So this recipe is a two-stager: Make the juice, pour it in the blender, add the kale.

This works. This is yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment