Thursday, December 26, 2013

Money

Something else you'll learn about juicing is that it's not cheap. First of all, you can't just buy two weeks' of juicing fodder in the way you'd normally buy groceries. Your food won't stay fresh that long, and definitely won't last that long either. About every four days I need to top up about $30 worth of fruit and veg. Sometimes more. The amount you go through is insane. Example: One jug might be good for 4 really big glasses full. If you drink two glasses a day, that's just two days (remember: this is all you're eating). That one jug might take 14 carrots and six apples. It might take 12 beets and eight pears. I normally drink about four big glasses of juice per day, so that should give you an idea of how much we're talking about.

There's something that works in your favor, however: Juicing is not "idle snacking." You're more likely to go through half a bag of cookies or six cups of coffee without realizing it. With juicing, every glass is deliberate. This works in your favor because idle snacking often doesn't satisfy your hunger (or at least doesn't make a noticeable dent in it) and often adds to fat and/or salt intake.

As a person who has been pretty poor for many years, I'm used to spending as little as possible and making whatever I buy last for a long time... so this is somewhat counter-intuitive for me. I keep thinking I will use fewer veggies in my juices but then I can't fill a whole glass when I do. It's a very different economy of money:food, and food:meals. Not entirely in your favor and not entirely against it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment