Saturday, December 21, 2013

What I Eat

I'm about three days in. I've been drinking combinations of apple, orange, pear, beets, carrots, celery, sweet potato, raspberries, spinach, cucumbers, and even an onion (I don't recommend that one). I sometimes add ginger and will be experimenting with mint.
I've occasionally been eating a raw banana here and there in addition to the juice. I've also had some mint tea and organic honey.

Then I started asking around the internet a little and here's what some people told me:
I'm a total juicing novice, but from what I've read and watched about juicing, you are missing THE most important veggies- dark greens. I saw you had spinach, but you also need bok choy/collar greens/kale/cabbage/chards. And, you want to juice 80/20 veg to fruit ratio, because all that fruit equals so much sugar. 
Additionally, apparently you need to mix up the type of greens, because veggies from the broccoli family (kale, spinach) can cause hyperthyriodism. 
Taken from this site, http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/hypothyroidism 
Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens. 
I know it says "Avoid", that is advice for people with an already pre-existing thyroid condition. Regular folks without the condition don't need to avoid, just ensure you do not ALWAYS eat these foods that DO inhibit thyroid function.
So, these mentioned vegetables block thyroid production/function, so switching up your greens to, say, bok choy, will "balance" out your diet and help your thyroid.
And then this:

When juicing kale/spinach/leafy greens, always juice a quarter of a lemon or so to go along with it (or anything acidic, like orange/grapefruit/tomato). 
You need that acid to increase calcium absorption from those greens. 
Taken from some blog, but I've heard this for a long time and I've read it many times in other places: 
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends eating spinach with citrus or tomatoes. These foods are high in vitamin C, which changes the form of iron in spinach to the easily absorbed kind you find in steak–but with much fewer calories or risks to your health. Vitamin C also blocks the oxalate from binding to calcium, encouraging further absorption.
Tomorrow I go shopping and it seems like I'm gonna be hitting the kale pretty hard. I actually don't mind the taste of leafy green vegetables at all and a jug full of kale/bok choy/cabbage actually sounds really good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment